Kadai is a kind of wok which is similar to the chinese wok. Cooking the paneer (cottage cheese) in masala in the Kadai gives the dish its name Kadai Paneer. This dish can be made both dry or with gravy. This spicy and tangy dish gets its flavors from the roasted kadai masala and tastes very good with naan, roti and rice.
What you need
250 gms Paneer (cottage cheese) cubed
1 medium bell pepper julienned
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
2 medium onions finely chopped
4-5 tomatoes pureed
2 tbsp cream (optional)
1 tbsp kasuri methi
1/2 tsp garam masala
salt to taste
Cilantro leaves for garnishing
2 tbsp oil
For Kadai masala
- 4-5 kashmiri whole chillies
- 5 tsp coriander seeds
How to make:
- Roast the kadai masala(coriander seeds and red chillies) ingredients on a low flame till they turn aromatic.
- When the spices cool, coarsely grind them in a blender.
3. Heat the oil in a pan and add the ginger garlic paste. Saute for a couple of minutes and then add the chopped onions. Stir well till the onions turn translucent.
4. Throw in the ground kadai masala and mix well. Now add the tomato puree and cook on a low flame, stirring from time to time. Saute well till the oil leaves the side (about 7-8 mins).
5. Add the bell pepper now and simmer on a low flame for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add 1-2 cups water and salt and simmer the gravy for another 5 mins. Add the paneer cubes and the kasuri methi and cook for another 2-3 minutes. You can add cream now if you want to. Mix it gently into the gravy.
7. Sprinkle garam masala and cilantro leaves on the kadai paneer and serve hot with roti, rice or naan. Enjoy!