Sprouts are a super super food which I would love to include more in my diet. They are loaded with vitamins, minerals, proteins and antioxidants. My usual way to eat them is to add them to salads. So when I came across this awesome soup recipe using sprouts and a whole lot of healthy vegetables, I couldn’t wait to try it. This powerhouse soup was delicious and nourishing. I realized sprouts are extremely versatile and can be added to stir fry veggies, in soups, in salads, in sandwiches and even as pizza topping!
What you need:
1 cup sprouts (I used both moong and chana sprouts)
1/2 cup cabbage, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped beans
1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
1/4 cup grated carrot
1 onion finely chopped
2 garlic pod, crushed
1 green chilli finely chopped (optional)
1 tbsp chopped coriander
2 tbspn chopped paneer for garnishing
½ tsp sugar
½ tsp oil
1 ½ tsp cornflour
2 tbsp chilli sauce
Salt to taste
Water as required
How to make:
1. Wash the sprouts and boil them in 4 cups of water. Drain and keep aside. Do not throw the water.
2. Mix the cornflour with 1/4 cup water and keep aside.
3. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add garlic and then the onion and stir for a minute.
5. Add the stock (the water in which the sprouts were boiled). Let it come to a boil and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
6. Add the salt, chilli sauce, sugar and cornflour paste. Mix well and let it boil for another 3-4 minutes.
7. Garnish with some paneer pieces and serve hot with bread sticks.
Brussels sprouts are not exactly the most popular vegetable around! I have been looking for recipes which can make these healthy mini cabbages more palatable. Jyoti sent me this recipe and I tried it. Not only was it easy to make, but it was delicious and flavorful. Definitely a keeper! This fantastic vegetable from the cruciferous family is anti inflammatory and anti cancerous. It is full of antioxidants and is a good source of dietary fiber.
What you need:
! pound Brussels sprouts quartered
2 tbsp cooking oil
2 garlic cloves
2 tsp soy sauce(I use the low sodium one)
2 tbsp sweet chili sauce(I like the thai sweet chili sauce which is more sweet and less chili)
Pinch of sea salt
How to make:
1. Heat the oven to 400 F.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, soy sauce and the sweet chili sauce.
3. On a baking sheet, toss the Brussels sprouts in cooking oil and sea salt to coat evenly. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, tossing them after about 10 mins, so that they cook evenly.
3. Remove Brussels sprouts from the oven and turn on the broiler to high. Now pour the soy sauce/garlic/sweet chili sauce mixture over the Brussels sprouts and mix well so as to coat evenly and put back in the oven to broil.
4. Broil the Brussels sprouts for 5 minutes or until the sugar in the chili sauce is bubbling . Remove from the oven and serve immediately.