Having bought too much cilantro/ hara dhaniya (which I really love), I decided to use it to make chicken. Cilantro leaves are also known as Coriander leaves in India and are widely used in Indian cooking for garnishing and in chutney. Cilantro chicken is prepared with chicken pieces delicately cooked combined with the freshly ground mixture of cilantro leaves, curry leaves and green chilies. This tastes great with hot roti or naan.
What you need:
500 grams chicken
10 Cashew nuts
1 bunch cilantro(hara dhaniya) leaves
8-10 curry leaves
3/4 cup yogurt
1 tbsp garlic ginger paste
2-3 finely chopped green chilli
2 tbsp oil
salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
How to make:
- Take cilantro (hara dhaniya), curry leaves and green chillies and blend to a fine paste in a blender.
- Take coriander seeds and roughly grind them.
- In a pan take some oil and heat it. Add the cumin seeds. Once they start spluttering, add the ground coriander seeds. Give it a stir and then add the ginger garlic paste.
- Make a paste of the cashew nuts with a little water. Add 1 1/2 tsp of this paste to the pan. Also add the haldi powder and mix really well.
- Now add the cilantro (hara dhaniya) mixture to the oil and stir very well.Cook on medium heat till the oil starts separating(about 5 mins). Add salt.
6. Now throw in the chicken and stir well. Add 1/2 cup of yogurt. Cover and cook on low heat for 10-15 mins.till the chicken is tender. Uncover and cook for another 5 mins so that the gravy is of thicker consistency. Enjoy with roti/nan!