Chicken pulao is a lighter version of the rich Biryani. This mildly spiced dish is a favorite in our house, and is full of goodness, taste and flavor. This yummy pulao combines well with plain yogurt or with raita. A one dish meal this is a must try!
What you need:
250 gms chicken cut in pieces
2 cups basmati rice
3 large onions sliced finely
2-3 garlic cloves peeled
1 inch ginger piece chopped
1 bay leaf
1 big cardamom
3-4 small cardamom
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp chilli powder
Salt to taste
Cilantro and mint leaves for garnish
How to make:
- Put the chicken pieces in a pressure cooker along with 1/3 rd of the sliced onions (keep the rest of the onions aside), ginger and garlic, big and small cardamoms, cinnamon sticks and some salt. Add 4 cups of water and let it cook till one whistle and then remove from heat.
2. Wash the rice and soak for 20 mins. Drain and keep aside.
3. Once the steam is let out, open the Cooker. The chicken would be almost cooked. Remove the chicken pieces from the stock and keep aside.
4. In another pan, heat oil. Add bay leaf to the oil and then throw in the remaining onions. Stir the onions till they start turning brown.
5. Now add the chicken pieces. Saute the chicken on medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add chili powder and mix well.
6. Now add the rice to the chicken. Stir nicely and then add the chicken stock (after removing all the spices from it).
7. Once this mixture starts boiling, add salt to taste. Then lower the heat and cover and cook till the rice is done.
8. Garnish with cilantro and mint leaves.
9. Serve hot with plain yogurt or raita and salad.