I love the flavor of mustard and that is what is used in this Bengali inspired fish recipe. This dish is deliciously spicy and healthy and goes well with both steamed rice and roti . The aroma of mustard in every bite gives this dish a unique flavor.
What you need:
500 gm fish fillets
1/2 tsp nigella (kalonji) seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 medium onions finely chopped
2 medium tomatoes pureed
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/2 tsp chilli powder
2 green chillis slit
3 tbsp mustard oil
1 cup water
Salt to taste
2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
2 tbsp sesame seeds
How to make:
- Rub the fish fillets with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and 1 tsp salt. keep aside for half an hour.
- Take some mustard oil in a pan and heat . Now shallow fry the fish and remove.
- In the same pan add the nigella seeds and cumin seeds. Once they splutter, add chopped onions and the ginger garlic paste. Also throw in the powdered mustard seeds and poppy seeds. Stir well till the mixture starts turning brown.
- Now add the tomato puree along with the red chilli powder and turmeric powder. Stir well and cook for 2-3 minutes on low heat. Add the fish fillets gently to the pan now and let the masala coat the fish well.
- Add a cup of water and salt to the mixture. Once the gravy starts bubbling, lower the heat and cook till the gravy thickens.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and green chillis and serve hot with rice or roti. Enjoy!