This classic cake has always been a favorite of mine! I had been craving something sweet and this buttery rich cake with caramelized pineapple was just what I wanted. Luckily I had a tin of pineapple in my pantry along with all the other ingredients, so I could rustle up this super moist and flavorful dessert. I invited a couple of friends over for coffee and cake ….the cake is a total show stopper besides being lip smacking good!!
What you need:
- 1 can pineapple rings
- 1 oz glace cherries
- 3-4 tbsp melted golden syrup
- 6 oz self raising flour or 6 0z regular flour with 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 oz butter
- 4 oz caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 – 3 tbsp milk
How to make:
- Grease the base of a 7 inch round cake tin well and line it with greased paper.
- Arrange pineapple slices and cherries decoratively in it and cover them with golden syrup.
- For the cake: In a bowl, add the butter and castor sugar and mix well. Whisk in the eggs and stir well. Now add the flour slowly 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing well.
- Now spread the cake batter evenly and carefully over the pineapple slices.
- Bake in a moderate oven at 180 degrees centigrade for 45 minutes till cake is done.
- Invert cake on top of a cake stand or a large serving plate. Slice and serve warm, room temperature, or even cold. Try serving with vanilla ice cream – it’s a delicious combination.