I love Broccoli and am always looking for ways to make it Indian style! I came across this recipe which combines besan or chickpea flour with broccoli and decided to try it. The lightly spiced besan coats the broccoli florets and adds a nice texture and flavor to the dish. Broccoli is full of vitamin C, dietary fiber and anti cancerous properties – a must to be included in our diet. This tasty and simple dish goes well with bread, chapati and rice.
What you need:
1 medium Broccoli cut into bite sized florets
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp minced garlic
1-2 green chilies finely chopped
1/2 cup Chickpea flour (besan)
1/8 tsp asfotida (Hing)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp dry mango powder
1/4 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp red chili powder
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt to taste
How to make:
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a skillet. Add asfotida and then the cumin seeds. Once the cumin seeds start spluttering, add the minced garlic and green chilies.
- Add the broccoli florets to the pan along with salt. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes and then cover and cook.
- In a separate bowl, take all the dry ingredients and mix well together along with 1 tbsp oil.
- Now evenly spread the mixture over the broccoli in the pan. Also sprinkle some water and cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes stir the broccoli well and add lemon juice to taste.
- Serve hot with chapati, paratha or bread. Enjoy!