Lauki or botttle gourd(also called squash in America), is one of those vegetables which is difficult to feed to kids and also to a lot of adults! It has a reputation of being one of those too healthy veggies which should be only eaten if you are not well. However, a little creativity can go a long way in elevating the taste of this ordinary lauki to a super tasty dish. Taking inspiration from foodfellas4you recipe, I made this easy, crisp and delicious dish. Check it out…it will change the way you feel about Lauki!
What you need:
1 young and firm Lauki (bottle gourd)
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp haldi
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp chat masala
1 tsp minced ginger
2 green chillies finely chopped
7-8 curry leaves
1/4 cup tomato puree
2 tbsp oil
Salt to taste
Cilantro to decorate
How to make:
- Peel the lauki and cut into thick rounds. Sprinkle with salt, chilli powder and haldi. Mix well.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a non stick pan and add the lauki roundels. Sear till lauki is golden on both sides. Remove the partially cooked lauki and keep aside.
3. Heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil in the same pan. Add cumin seeds and once they start spluttering add the curry patta and the minced ginger and green chillies. Saute for a minute.
4. Add the tomato puree and stir well. Add the coriander power to this. Reduce the heat and cook till the tomato puree becomes thick and reduces in quantity. Throw in the seared lauki roundels and mix well. Adjust the salt and saute well for 2-3 minutes till the masala lightly coats the roundels
5. Garnish with chopped cilantro and sprinkle with chat masala. Serve hot with roti.