It gets boring to eat plain brown rice most times! I wanted to add a kick to this rice and so decided to make mint flavored rice. This fragrant herb(mint) and other spices transformed plain brown rice into a delicious pulao. Mint leaves are anti bacterial and anti inflammatory. They are good for digestion too. This healthy one pot dish can be paired with yogurt or raita and salad for an exciting meal!
What you need:
For mint paste:
1 cup chopped mint
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1-2 green chili
3-4 cloves garlic
2-3 tbsp water to grind
1 cup brown rice
1 medium onion sliced thinly
1 stick cinnamon
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp chilli pd
Salt to taste
How to make:
- Wash the rice and soak for 3-4 hours. Drain the water from the rice and reserve the drained water.
- In the meantime, assemble all the ingredients needed for the mint chutney. Put in a blender and make into a paste.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add the cumin seeds. Once the seeds start spluttering, add the peppercorns and cinnamon stick. Now toss in the sliced onions and stir well
4. Once the onions start changing color to brown, add the chilli powder and stir well.
5. Now add the mint paste to the onions and saute well till you see the oil leaving the sides.
6. Throw in the rice and mix well. Add the reserved water (I used 3 cups of water but check the instructions on your rice package) and the salt to the rice and let it cook.
7. Once the rice is cooked, garnish with cilantro and serve with a side of raita and salad.