I have always loved cherry tomatoes and when I came across baby potatoes and small onions in my grocery store, I could not resist buying all the three vegetables. I decided to combine all three and make a delicious medley. Golden pan fried potatoes with caramelized onions and tomatoes turned out to be rather delicious! Caramelized onions and tomatoes added an amazing flavor to the potatoes. Absolutely lip smacking!
What you need:
Baby potatoes 250 gm
Small onions peeled 16-20
Cherry tomatoes 15-20
Oil 5 tbsp
Sea salt to taste
Black peppercorn crushed 1/2 tsp
Basil leaves 15-20
Brown sugar 1 1/2 tsp
Red chilli crushed 1/2 tsp
Onion seeds (kalonji) 1/4 tsp
How to make:
- Scrub potatoes well. Put in a microwaveable dish(or you can parboil them in water on the stove) with a little water. Cover and cook in microwave for 5 minutes.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan and add the potatoes. Sprinkle sea salt over them and add half the crushed peppercorns. Toss well and cover and cook.
3. In another pan take 2 tbsp of oil and add the onions. Stir for 3-4 mins. Make small slits on the cherry tomatoes and add to the onions. Add sea salt and stir well. Cover and cook till the tomatoes soften.
4. Finely chop basil leaves. Add brown sugar, crushed red chillies, vinegar to the onion-tomato pan. Toss well and cover and cook.
5. Add the onion seeds and some crushed peppercorn to the potatoes and stir well.
To serve: Layer the potatoes in a serving dish and place the onion-tomatoes on top. Serve hot with chapatis or as a side to grilled fish or chicken.