This is my version of the classic Phirni which is made with rice. I use bread instead and it comes out as delicious and creamy as the original. Bread Phirni is an easy dessert which appeals to the taste buds. This is the sweet to make when you want to impress your guests!
What you need:
1 liter full cream milk
6 slices of bread
3/4 cup sugar
6-7 green cardamoms crushed and powdered
2 tbsp slivered almonds
How to make:
1. Heat the milk in a thick bottomed pan. Reduce the heat when it starts boiling.
2. Cut the bread slices roughly into 4-5 small pieces.
3. Powder the cardamoms and add to the milk. Add the sugar and keep stirring the milk.
4. Add the bread slices to the milk and mix well. Keep on low heat and cook for 10-15 mins till milk thickens.
5, Now remove the pan from fire and allow to cool.
6. Put bread-milk mixture in a blender till it becomes smooth.
7. Pour the mixture into a serving bowl. Stir half of the almonds into this mixture and garnish the Phirni with the remaining almonds.
8. Chill the pudding in the fridge.