The summer has been busy with lots of friends visiting! So even though I had been cooking and taking pictures of my dishes, I had not been able to post them on the blog. So here goes. This is a low fat yoghurt based chicken curry flavored with brown onions. Tastes good with both rice and roti.
What you need:
2 lbs boneless chicken
2 cups yoghurt
2 onions sliced and fried golden
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/4 tsp haldi (turmeric) powder
1 tsp zeera (cumin) powder
1 tsp garam masala
2 green chillis sliced long
4-5 green cardamoms
2 tbsp almond paste
3 tbsp chopped cilantro
How to make:
1. Wash and cut the chicken into small pieces and keep aside.
2. Take oil in a pan and fry the onions till golden brown. Remove from oil and spread on paper napkin so that the oil is soaked. When the onions cool down, crush them coarsely by hand.
3. Marinade the chicken in yoghurt, ginger garlic paste, crushed brown onions, chilli powder, haldi and cumin powder. Cover and keep in refrigerator for 4-5 hours.
4. Heat the remaining oil and add 4-5 cardamoms slit open. Now throw in the marinated chicken. Let it simmer on low heat, stirring regularly.
5. Once the chicken is tender, add the almond paste and salt. Sauté for a few minutes till the gravy reaches desired consistency.
6. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot with rice or roti.