Chicken Burrito Bowl is one of my favorite Mexican dishes! This healthy dish contains nutritious ingredients like brown rice, chicken, guacamole, beans, etc. The recipe appears long but is simple to assemble. The best part is that you can customize this dish as you like without compromising on the taste.
What you need:
For cilantro lime brown rice:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups chicken broth or water
- 1 lime
- 1/3 cup loosely packed cilantro, chopped
1/2 package fajita seasoning mix
2 cups of lean chicken, chopped
1 cup frozen Corn
1 can black beans, low sodium
1 cup of low-fat shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
Salsa if desired
1 small container of low-fat sour cream
1/4 cup cilantro
1/4 cup of chopped onion
1 small jalapeno copped
1 small chopped tomato
pepper to taste
How to make:
For the rice:
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, season with Kosher salt and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to low and add rice. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add broth, the zest and juice of 1 lime. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is done as per the directions on your bag of rice (different brands and types of rice have different cooking times).
2. Once the rice is cooked, fluff rice with a fork and stir in cilantro.
3. Steam the corn in a separate pot and keep aside. Also empty the can of black beans in a separate pan and heat, stirring well.
1. Add oil to a frying pan and toss chicken in. Heat chicken on medium heat, stirring often to get chicken cooking evenly.
2. Add 1/4 cup of water and half package of fajita seasoning (you can also just follow the directions on that packet). Add more water if necessary.
3. Stir chicken until evenly coated, turn heat to low-med and simmer for another 5 to 8 minutes till done.
1. Remove peel and core from avocado and chop up into pieces. Add to a medium bowl.
2. Chop and blend avocado until it’s the desired texture.
3. Add chopped cilantro, 1/4 cup of onions, lime juice, tomatoes , jalapeno and mix well.
4. Add pepper to taste.
Now that everything is ready you can get bowls for everyone eating. Follow the order of things if you want it to resemble Chipotle the most:
First add rice to bowl. Then add black beans and then add chicken. Now add some corn, cheese, salsa and sour cream. Finally top off with some chopped lettuce.