One of our all time favorite dishes to make at Thanksgiving is Cornish Hens. Easy to make, they come out moist, tender and delicious. This year I decided to make these in a crockpot(slow cooker). I marinated them the night before and tossed them in the slow cooker in the morning around 11 and then concentrated on the other dishes to be prepared for the evening meal. By 5 in the evening they were nicely done and ready to eat! You can also roast them in the oven (as I have done every year in the past) and they are always yummy!
What you need:
2 Cornish Hens
3/4 cup beaten yogurt
1/2 cup Tikka Masala (I used Pataks)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
4 cloves of garlic
1 inch of ginger
4 green chillies
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp oil
Salt to taste
Pinch of red coloring
How to make:
1. Rinse the hens after removing the innards and pat dry inside and outside with paper towels. Make cuts with a knife into the skin so that the chicken soaks in the marinade.
2. Grind together the cilantro, green chillies, ginger and garlic to make the green masala.
3. Prepare the marinade by mixing the yogurt, tikka masala, green masala, oil, yogurt, lemon juice and salt. Also add a pinch of the red coloring to this.
4. Place hens in a large ziplock bag and pour the marinade over them. Seal bag and refrigerate 6-24 hrs, turning occasionally.
5. I put the hens in a slow cooker in the morning at 11 am and by 5 pm in evening they were ready! Baste the hens a couple of times during cooking, with the marinade. They turned out tender, flavorful and delicious!
But if you want to roast in the oven, then :
Transfer hens to a 9×13 baking dish, single layer, skin side up. Reserve marinade.
Roast at 400 for 1 hour. Baste with marinade every 15 minutes. Serve right away!