Achari Chicken is a dish to liven up any meal! The dish is made with the same spices which are used to make pickles and add a nice punch to the chicken curry. Typically this curry is cooked in mustard oil, but if you do not have it on hand, just go ahead and use the oil which you regularly cook with.
What you need:
1 chicken (cut into pieces)
1 tsp kalonji (nigella seeds)
1/2 tsp methi dana (fenugreek seeds)
1 tsp saunf (fennel seeds)
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp haldi (turmeric powder)
1/2 tsp chilli powder
Salt to taste
3 medium onions sliced
3 large tomatoes pureed
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1/2 cup yogurt beaten well
5-6 green chillies slit
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
2 tbsp oil
How to make:
1. Dry roast kalonji, methi seeds, saunf, cumin and mustard seeds and then grind them coarsely. Add lemon juice to this to make a thick mixture.
2. Slit the green chillies and stuff each with the lemon mixture.
3.. Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add the onions and fry till golden. Now add the tomato puree and mix well. Saute for a couple of minutes and then add ginger and garlic paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder. Continue to stir the mixture till the oil starts to separate.
4. Now add the yogurt and cover and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the chicken and stir well. Lower the heat and let the chicken cook for about 7-8 minutes.
5. Add the remaining lemon mixture to the chicken along with the stuffed green chillies and stir well. Cook till the chicken is tender.
6. Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves and serve hot with rotis or parathas or with pulao/pilaff.
Note: You can used store bought achari masala instead of buying the kalonji, saunf, mustard and methi seeds.