I had a bunch of carrots in the fridge since a long time and was thinking how best to use them. I got inspired by a middle eastern recipe I had seen and decided to try out a salad with green lentils and carrots. To make the olive oil into a fragrant dressing for the salad, I added the spices to the warm oil which absorbed the flavors well. Cilantro and scallions add to the freshness of the salad. Carrots contain a high level of beta carotene and vitamin A and are very good for vision and skin. They also have anti cancerous properties. Green moong is another super food which helps lowers cholesterol and blood pressure and is full of fiber and minerals. An added bonus is that it is good for weight loss!
What you need:
2 large carrots
1 cup of cooked green lentils (whole moong dal)
2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp of grated ginger
1/4 tsp of ground cumin
1/4 tsp of black pepper
2 scallions finely sliced
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
salt to taste
How to make:
1. Wash and soak the lentils for 5-6 hours. Bring to boil in a pressure cooker(using 1 cup of moong with 3 cups of water) and close the stove. Drain the water and season with salt and keep aside.
2. Peel the carrots and cut them into half inch rounds. Put them in salted boiling water for 5 minutes so that they soften but still retain their color. Drain and keep aside.
3. While the carrots are being cooked, take olive oil in a pan. Heat it and add ground ginger, pepper and cumin to it.
4. Pour the fragrant oil in a large mixing bowl and add the cooked lentils, carrots and the vinegar. Add the sliced scallions, cilantro and salt and mix well.
5. Transfer to a serving dish and serve warm.