Moong dal cheela is a kind of savory crepe made of lentils. It is gluten free and full of protein. They can be rolled or stuffed with finely chopped vegetables and cottage cheese (paneer) or served plain with chutney on the side. Moong dal is easy to digest and is high on fibre and helps to lower cholesterol. It is rich in calcium, potassium. iron and B complex vitamins. It is also popular as a weight loss food.
What you need:
3/4 cup Moong Dal (Split Green Gram lentils)
1/4 cup sooji/rawa (semolina) …optional if you want to add
1/4 cup oat flakes…optional if you want to add
1/2 ” piece of ginger
1 small onion finely chopped
1 green chilli finely chopped
2 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
Salt to taste
1/4 cup oil
How to make:
1. Wash the moong dal thoroughly and soak them over night or for at least 3-4 hours in about 3 cups of water.
2. Drain the water(and keep the it aside) and grind the dal along with the ginger into a smooth paste. To this add sooji and oat flakes and mix well. Add some of the reserved water to make this batter of pouring consistency.
3. To the batter, add onion, chilli, cilantro, cumin seeds and salt and stir well.
4. Heat griddle and pour a little batter (about 3 tbsp) in the center and quickly spread it in a circular manner to form a pancake. Drizzle a little oil on the sides of the pancake and then cover and cook on medium heat for a couple of minutes. Flip and cook on the other side till done.
5. Serve hot with mint chutney.