Beetroot and paneer pulao looks colorful, is delicious and is nutritious as well. This dish (courtesy Sanjeev Kapoor) is perfect for a party and your guests will love it. This dark red vegetable is one of the richest dietary sources of antioxidants and naturally occurring nitrates. Nitrates are compounds which improve blood flow throughout the body. Beetroots help to lower blood pressure and also contain folic acid which is essential for normal tissue growth. Beetroot’s iron content means it’s good for those with anaemia and fatigue.
What you need:
1 1/2 cup of basmati rice washed and soaked
1 medium beetroot grated
100 gms paneer (cottage cheese)
3 tbsp ghee
1 large onion finely chopped
10 cashew nuts chopped
1 tbsp raisins
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
8-10 mint leaves
Salt to taste
How to make:
1. Heat ghee in a non stick pan. Add black peppercorns, onion, mix well and saute for 2 minutes till the onions turn a little brown.
2. Add cashew nuts, raisins and saute till raisins get puffed.
3. Add beetroot, cottage cheese cubes, chilli flakes, garam masala powder, mint leaves, salt and mix well.
4. Add drained basmati rice and stir well. Add 3 cups of water to the rice.
5. Cover and cook on medium heat till the rice is done. Serve hot.