Guest column by Rashmi:
My sister, Rashmi, is a great cook and in the midst of her busy schedule, always finds time to make delicious food. Her recipe of besan pancakes:
Besan ka cheela are savory pancakes made of gram flour, to which onion, fresh coriander leaves and ginger have been added. Besan or gram flour has a lower glycemic index, has higher protein content and is gluten-free. It has folate as well as is a good source of thiamin and vitamin B-6. It also contains minerals like magnesium and phosphorus. This tasty and nutritious breakfast food can be made in a jiffy.
What you need:
2 tbsp finely chopped onion
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
1 tsp grated ginger
1/4 tsp ajwain (carom seeds)
How to make:
1. In a bowl take the gram flour and add all the ingredients.
2. Slowly add water and make a thick paste till you have a mixture of a consistency that flows slowly when poured from a spoon.
3. Heat a shallow pan to medium heat on the stove top and grease it lightly.
4. Pour 3 tablespoons of the mixture and spread it lightly and quickly to form a small pancake. When it is done on the one side, flip it to cook the other side and put a tsp. of oil around it.
5. When done, put it on a plate and serve it with green chutney or tomato ketchup.
Note: If the cheela is cooked on medium heat, it will cook slowly and be more crisp than when cooked on high heat.