Biryani can be either your one-dish meal for a lazy Sunday afternoon or it can be a special party dish! There are many versions of the Biryani like Hyderabadi Biryani, Awadhi Biryani, Sindhi Biryani, Kacche ghosht ki biryani (cooking the marinated meat and the rice together), etc. I wanted to make the Chicken dum biryani where the cooked chicken and partially cooked rice are layered together and cooked on “dum” over low heat. The recipe looks elaborate but it is quite easy once you have collected all the ingredients together. It is a fragrant, aromatic and delicious meal which is enjoyed by all!
What you need:
800 gm chicken with bones
2 cups basmati rice
2 cups yogurt
1 tsp each cumin powder and coriander powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder or to taste
1 tbsp mace (javethri)
2 tbsp each of minced ginger and garlic
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp of black cumin seeds
2 bay leaves
1 stick Cinnamon
4 green Cardamom
2 black cardamoms
2 large medium onion sliced and fried
2 green chillis
¼ cup chopped Mint leaves
½ cup chopped Coriander leaves
8-10 strands of saffron soaked in 1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp ghee
3/4 cup oil
Salt to taste
How to make:
1. Soak the saffron in 1/2 cup milk. Heat the oil and deep fry the onions till golden brown . Spread the fried onions on a paper towel so that the oil is absorbed.
2. Marinate the chicken in yogurt, lemon juice, ginger garlic, green chillis, half of the mint leaves and half of the coriander leaves. To this marinade also add the peppercorns, cloves, cumin seeds, green cardamoms, mace, cumin powder, coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric, salt and the fried onions(hold back a little of the fried onions for garnish). Also add the oil in which the onions have been fried to the chicken. Keep aside for a couple of hours.
2. Wash and soak the rice for 30 mins.
3. In a pan heat the ghee and add the bay leaves, cinnamon stick and black cardamom. Now add the soaked rice and 6 cups of water and salt to taste. When the rice is almost done, remove from fire and drain out the excess water.
4. In a separate pan take ¼ cup oil and heat. Add the chicken along with the marinade and cover and cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally till done.
5. In a deep vessel, layer(starting with the rice) alternately with the chicken and rice. Sprinkle saffron-milk mixture, remaining mint, coriander leaves. Close with an airtight lid and put tawa underneath the pan and simmer for fifteen to twenty minutes.
6. Serve garnished with coriander leaves and fried onions, along with a side of raita.