Vegetable upma is a healthy and delicious breakfast and was a perfect choice to make when I had a friend come over today in the morning. Healthy upma with steaming cups of ginger tea was a wonderful start to the morning.
What you need:
1 cup Semolina (Rawa/suji)
1 medium carrot cubed
6-8 french beans cut in small pieces
1/4 cup peas
1 small green bell pepper cubed
1 medium onion chopped
1-2 green chilli chopped
1/2″ ginger piece finely chopped
2 tbsp virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
10 -12 curry leaves
2 tsp Split black gram skinless (dhuli urad dal)
Salt to taste
How to make:
1. Chop onion, green chillies and ginger.
2. Heat extra virgin olive oil in a non stick pan. Add mustard seeds, ginger, curry leaves and urad dal and sauté for 1 minute. Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes.
3. When the onion becomes golden, add peas, carrots and beans. Cover and cook till almost done. Now add semolina and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Then add the green chilli and salt and stir for another minute.
4. Take 2 cups of hot water and add it to the semolina. Cook till most of the water is absorbed. Now add the bell pepper and cover and cook till the semolina is properly cooked (another 2-3 mins).
5. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.