Traditionally this dal was cooked on a low flame for hours. This gave it a creamy texture and then butter or malai (cream) was added to it. I have made this low calorie version of makhani dal which uses low fat milk instead of cream. The taste and texture still remain rich even though fresh cream has been used only as a garnish. Your guests will keep asking more of this guilt free version!
What you need:
1/2 cup urad (whole black lentils)
1 tbsp rajma (kidney beans)
1 cup low fat milk
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
2 tsp coriander powder (dhania)
3/4 cup fresh tomato puree
1 tsp oil
salt to taste
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves to garnish
How to make:
1. Wash and soak the whole urad dal and rajma overnight. Drain and keep aside.
2. Add 2 cups water and salt to both the dals and cook in a pressure cooker till well done. Whisk well till the dal is almost mashed.
3. Add the milk and 1 cup of water and simmer for 10 mins and stir occasionally.
4. Heat oil in a nonstick pan and add cumin seeds. When the seeds crackle add the onion and ginger-garlic paste and saute till the onions turn golden brown.
5. Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and saute for a couple of minutes. Now add the tomato puree. Mix well and add 1/4 cup of water and let it simmer.
6. Add this to the dal mixture and cook on low heat for 10-12 minutes till it is well blended.
7. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and a bit of light cream. Serve hot.