I wanted to make a healthy dessert which used seasonal fresh fruits. With so many fresh berries(locally produced) available abundantly in the farmers market, I decided to make Strawberry and Blueberry crumble. A delicious dessert this can be served with a side of cream to drizzle over it or with a big scoop of ice cream!
What you need:
1 16 oz pack of strawberries
2 6 oz pack of blueberries
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted cold butter, cut into 1/4-in pieces
How to make:
1. Wash, hull and quarter the strawberries. Mix the blueberries and strawberries together.
2. Preheat your oven to 350˚F and set aside a 7 x 11-in baking dish.
3. Using a food-processor, mix the flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon and salt, and pulse to combine.
4. Add the butter and pulse until the butter is evenly dispersed.
5. Remove from food processor into a plate and roll the mixture between your fingers to form crumble.
6. Put the berries at the bottom of your pan and spread the crumbs evenly on top.
7. Bake for 35-40 minutes until the topping is golden brown and the berries bubble thickly.
8. Let cool for 10-15 minutes and serve with a drizzle of heavy cream or a scoop of ice cream.