My friend Jyoti’s mom-in-law is an awesome cook, and she was visiting from India over the summer. I went to meet Aunty, and as usual, she had prepared something delicious for us to eat. Her shami kebabs were absolutely melting in the mouth. I took the recipe from her and couldn’t wait to try it. The shami kebabs were almost as good as Aunty’s!
What you need:
500 gm minced lean goat meat
3 cups of water
1/2 cup bengal gram dal(chana dal) soaked for 15 mins
2 black cardamoms
6 green cardamoms
1 tbsp garlic paste
1×1″ piece of ginger cut into 4 pieces
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp black cumin seeds
2 green chillis chopped
2 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves
1 finely chopped onion (optional)
Salt to taste
How to make:
1. In a pressure cooker, add the meat, water, Bengal gram dal, black and green cardamoms, cinnamon pd, red chilli powder, salt, ginger and garlic paste.
2. Pressure cook the mixture till it boils. Reduce the heat and continue to cook it until all the water has evaporated and the meat is tender.
3. Allow meat to cool down. Remove all the whole spices from the mixture.
4. Finely grind the meat in a blender adding the green chilies, black cumin seeds and green coriander, chopped onion (optional) and egg.
5. Divide the mixture equally into lemon-sized portions and shape each of them into patty.
6. Shallow fry the patties until they turn golden brown.
7. Garnish kebabs with onion rings and lemon slices. Serve hot with coriander chutney.