I had a girls night at my place yesterday and the chatpate aloo turned out to be a superhit! This dish is easy to make and its unique sweet and sour flavors make it a delicious addition to any meal.
What you need:
500 grams potatoes boiled and peeled
2 tsp tamarind paste
2 tsp sugar
2 medium onions
2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
3-4 dried red chilies,halved
2 tsp ginger paste
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/4 tsp black salt (kala namak)
Fresh chopped coriander
Salt to taste
How to make:
1. Heat oil in a non stick pan and saute the potatoes till light brown.
2. Add cumin seeds, dried red chilies and finely chopped onions to the hot oil and saute for 1 minute.
3. Add ginger paste, turmeric powder, coriander powder and saute for 1 minute more. Now add potatoes back to the pan.
4. Add ¼ cup water to the potatoes. Add salt, red chili powder, black salt, tamarind paste. Stir well.
5. Now add sugar and mix well. Cook for 3-4 minutes or till the potatoes are well coated with the masala.
6. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot.