I am leaving for India tonight and I had to finish all the vegetables in my fridge. So I decided to make this casserole which used spinach, mushrooms, corn, cheese and milk. It was a simple and delicious way to use up many vegetables.
What you need:
12 oz mushrooms (you can use the pre washed and sliced box)
9 oz fresh spinach, cleaned and roughly chopped
1 small bag of frozen sweet corn
3/4 cup of grated cheese ( I used sharp cheddar)
4 tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups milk
1 green chilly, finely chopped ( optional )
3 tbsp flour(maida)
1 teaspoon seasalt or to taste ( if using salted butter, go easy on the salt)
1/2 teaspoon crushed black pepper
How to make:
1. Add a tbsp of butter in a skillet and saute the mushrooms till they turn a little brown. Keep aside.
2. Steam the spinach along with the green chilli in another pan. Let all the water evaporate and mash the spinach with a wooden spoon.
3. Defrost the frozen corn by putting it under running water.
4. To make the sauce: Melt 3 tbsp butter in a skillet and add the flour. Cook on low heat stirring constantly for a couple of minutes.
5. Add the milk and whisk till the mixture thickens and turns smooth. (Add a little more milk if the sauce is too thick).
6. Turn the heat off and add 1/2 cup of the grated cheese and mix well with the sauce.
7. Add the spinach, corn and mushrooms to the sauce. Add pepper and salt as needed.
8. Pour this mixture in a lightly greased ovenproof dish and top it with the remaining cheese.
9. Bake in a hot oven at 350 degrees for about 20 mins or till the cheese has melted and the edges are bubbling.
10. Serve hot with garlic bread.