Shrimps are a family favorite so I decided to make Goan Shrimp curry today. Coconut milk and tamarind paste give this curry its unique tangy flavor. This tastes great with plain steamed rice!
What you need:
4 tbsp veg oil
2 medium onions sliced
2 tsp chilli powder
2-3 green chillies sliced long
100 ml coconut milk
400 gm shrimps deveined and peeled
1 tbsp tamarind paste
For the curry paste:
5 dry red chillies
4 tsp coriander seeds
2 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
4 cloves of garlic minced
1 tsp whole black peppercorns
How to make:
1. Blend all the ingredients for the curry paste along with a little water in a blender so as to make a thick paste.
2. Heat oil in a wok and add sliced onions and fry till golden.
3. Add curry paste and chilli powder and cook till the oil separates. Add the sliced green chillies.
4. Now add the prawns and saute it well for a couple of minutes.
5. Add coconut milk and bring the curry to a boil and then simmer for a few minutes till the shrimps are tender. Add salt to taste.
6. Add the tamarind paste and simmer for another 2 minutes.
7. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve hot with rice.